CHICKPEA TIKKA MASALA
Have you ever surprised yourself with how much you ended up liking something? I did just that this past week with Chickpea Tikka Masala. I was putting together a meal for an Ayurvedic class I was hosting and I fell in LOVE with this recipe.
It is ..
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINATED CHICKPEAS
1 can chickpeas,organic
½ cup of coconut cream or vegan plain yogurt
1/2 tsp each of garam masala, paprika, salt, and turmeric
2 tsp ginger paste or minced ginger
2 tsp garlic paste or minced or 3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp nutritional yeast optional
1 tbsp oil
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE (TIKKA MASALA)
1 tsp oil or vegan butter
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (or 3 large ripe tomatoes)
1 inch cube of ginger 1/2 inch chopped
1/2 hot or mild green chile juilenned or thinly sliced or use very thinly sliced green bell pepper
½ cup canned coconut cream or vegan yogurt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp paprika or kashmiri chili powder
1/8 or less of cayenne
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar or other sweetener to preference*. (optional)
Cilantro to garnish
1. In a bowl, mix the chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients together with the coconut cream. Cover and keep the marinated chickpeas in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Bake chickpeas at 350 F for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice.
3. In a blender, puree the diced tomato with the chopped ginger and half the green chile, water and yogurt/cream. Set aside.
4. Heat oil/butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Then add spices, salt and sugar and mix well.
5. Add the puree to the skillet and cook until it starts to thicken and does not taste raw tomatoey. Mix and Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt, heat (add cayenne) and sweet. Add more water if needed for preferred consistency. Add more cream for creamier.
6. Fold in the baked chickpeas. Simmer for a minute. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over rice or roti.